Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Blackbird...the second

Winter turned into Spring turned into summer. The garden bloomed. Not a trace of Blackbird appeared through the soil under my office window. Extra mulch and waxed cardboard came too late to save the 'bird from the ice, snow, and frozen ground. I am sad.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night....

Blackbird dead.

All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise.

All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to be free.


So I rallied and went to the neighborhood nursery. "My Black Magic Colocasia didn't make it through the ice storm this winter."

"I feel sorry for ya," the owner said with a straight face and just a bit of an edge. "Ours didn't either. We lost our shirts!"

[Yes! It wasn't just me failing at farming. She couldn't save hers either! No...wait--I don't mean it that way. I truly am sorry that she lost plants and money. She had some beautiful specimens. It's just that--well, you know...I feel a bit better knowing that a professional had a similar struggle. You know--validated--vindicated--variegated...one of those "v" words.]

"Do you have any more?"


Here it is.

Black Magic.

Colocasia esculenta.

Elephant ear.

Taro.

Blackbird II is a much younger and smaller plant. It has a lot more leaves and I got it in the ground much earlier this year. Here's hoping the roots have a chance to grow deep and strong before extreme weather hits. This year, I'll be prepared to build a fortress sooner, too.

May your roots grow strong and deep this summer so you can weather any storms that come your way.

Best Wishes,
Wanda Tucker

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Just me...but cover that baby with a nice canvas sack....the fewer dead birds the better!!

xo

Statcounter