Wednesday, June 29, 2005

What's your childhood dream?

Across the street from our house was a drive-in theater. At night during the summer we could sit in the front yard and watch the movies for free with a completely unobstructed view of the 30 foot high screen. Of course, we couldn't hear anything, but we watched all the movies we wanted to watch.

During the day, Mr. Elbow (the owner) was there working. He changed the name of the movie on the markee every week to advertise the upcoming double feature. Sometimes letters fell to the ground below. If I found them and returned them to him, he'd give me a dollar.

When I couldn't find any letters in the tall grass--and I felt brave enough--I ventured to the building that housed the projection booth and snack bar where Mr. Elbow was cleaning and preparing for the next showing. I asked if he had any chores that I could do for him. He handed me a bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels and I cleaned the glass in the candy cases. Sometimes I swept the floor. He paid me a dollar.

Even when I was 10, I liked the idea of being self-employed and providing a service. Retail was not my thing...lemon-ade stands held no appeal for me.

Remembering the plans and desires of our childhood puts us in touch with our passion--and that's where the energy is. Find your passion. Reconnect with the energy of your youth.

My other dream was to be an actress. I still have time.

How about you? What's your childhood dream? Are you living it?

Tell us about it.

from the Energy Coach,
Wanda Tucker

2 comments:

Wanda said...

Wow. Second grade! And you are right, it would be easy to create peace...if everyone figured the way you do.

Wanda Tucker

Maggie Butler at The Celtic Muse said...

I don't remember having a childhood dream, as such. What I do remember is being home sick from school, sitting on the couch in the living room and looking out the window at all the cars going by. I was impressed that they all were going somewhere. They had things to do that took them away. "Somewhere", "away" and the fact that people were going there were really big to me. It was only as an adult looking back that I could recognize and name a longing for freedom.

The life I have created allows me to frequently go "somewhere" and "away". Living in Ireland now, I travel around Europe and have gone back and forth over the Atlantic more times than I could ever have imagined sitting on that couch. And...I love the sense of freedom.
Maggie

Statcounter